Thursday, January 5, 2012

"Anticipa-aa-aa-tion is making me late..."

It's just about midnight, Pacific Standard Time, so this post is going to run into January 5th and will be quite short.  I get credit for starting it on January 4th, right?  This post is all about my day on January 4th, so yes. I do get credit.

For those of you in my <ahem> age box, you will recognize the title as the theme to the old Heinz 57 commercials...yes, you can sing a few bars (as I usually do); I won't judge.  This little ditty has been stuck in my head for the last 2 weeks, just scratching the back lobe.  This morning it was a full on blare.  You see, though it's against my character to procrastinate, it does occasionally happen.  Never with work or projects, but with ridiculously mundane things like laundry (I can wear these jeans for another 2 days!), dishes (though when the counters become cluttered I freak out and do them) and things that truly terrify me.  I don't scare easily, so when something terrifies me...it's a big freaking deal.

So I am in the middle of this 'thing' and I have got to respond and deal with it.  Trouble is, it is WAAAAAY outside my paradigm.  I'm a geek, remember?  All things technical and logical problems to be solved and I'm your 'go-to-girl'.  But this 'thing' requires language beyond my comfort zone...not to mention an entirely different set of thinking skills.  This 'thing'; it's also time sensitive.  The clock is ticking, and I'm almost to the wire.  So today, I sucked it up and attacked it the only way I know how...DA DUH DA DUH...In Google I trust.  I research and read, and research and read, write a bit, think a lot, re-read carefully because MAN, they like to throw you for a loop, research more, write a lot more and so on.  You get the picture: me at this for 12 stinkin' hours.  STRAIGHT.  My head is splitting like a cord of wood and blood is gushing from the sockets where my eyes used to be because I've gouged them out.  Yet, in all my misery, I persevere.  I muddle through the muck and produce the final product.  While it's probably not worthy of the highest echelons of the industry, I think it's well written and will stand on it's own stocky legs in the heat of battle.

So the product gets sent off tomorrow and if you're close enough, you will probably hear me singing.  If you're in really close proximity you will see me performing the Happy Dance.  It's really awesome, I should record it.  I digress.  So I am finished with this stage of the 'thing', and get to play the waiting game again.  No worries though, at least I'll be able to sleep better at night knowing I completed it before deadline.  I won't have that scratching at the back of my head or gnawing in my stomach.  I will breathe free and easy...tomorrow after some serious running around.  No matter.

I came through and nailed it.  Perseverance.  It's like 25 Red Bulls and no vodka.  You should try it sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment