Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Feelin' the Love

Today was, in a word, energetic.  It's January 3rd, 2012 and that means the 'Dead Zone' time period is over.  You know, the Dead Zone being the week of November 21st of the old year through January 1st of the new year.  During this time, very few jobs are posted or being recruited for. The year is winding down, people are scrimping wherever possible to make their budget numbers work.  That means no additional headcount (aka zero opportunities).

Now that it's 2012, budgets are fresh, plenty of projects and approval for additional headcount for everyone!!  Here come the recruiters and the job postings. YAY!!!  Finally, some hope.  Now, I know this is no guarantee.  I am well aware of the fierce competition and limited positions out there...but at least it's not a barren wasteland out there like it was just weeks ago.  And I am a driven woman.

Now, I'm not one to sit around and rest on my laurels (or whatever else it is you sit on), but these last few weeks have been completely cruel.  The 'slim-to-none' status on the availability front does nothing but kick one's self esteem right in the teeth.  The couple of leads I did have just sort of shriveled up like a pair of testicles hitting 60 degree water.  I had at that point  entered into the official "Stalker" category in my follow-ups.  I am actually still 'stalking' a poor HR Director (have I mentioned that I am a driven woman?).  Trying to get a potential employer to make a decision, when they are in no hurry, is a feat of brute strength...of which, I am losing.  Stalking or not, it makes the waiting game extraordinarily difficult.

Today, upon conducting my job search, I found a good number of positions open.  Happiness!! Indeed, I found a gem!  Luckily for me, I happen to have friends that are employed at this particular company and best yet...they love working there!  BONUS!  This feels like a successful "Hail Mary" play in the last two minutes of the Super Bowl...that would give the win to the underdog.  I contacted a friend and was informed shortly later that the position was open and that she would funnel my resume to the appropriate person.  SCORE.  I still applied properly on the web site; but more positions are obtained through personal networking than an actual application.  A heartfelt 'Thank You' to my contact...you know who you are.  It was exactly what I needed today.

I applied for additional positions, signed up with 3 more recruiters and have an orientation with one next week.  All in all, a very energetic and productive day indeed.  This day had been a long time coming.  Reaching out to my vast network and receiving the responses...has really set me back on track.  It has given me hope, has restored my sense of self-worth and made me realize that regardless of the circumstances...most have been in this place and are willing to help.  All I need to do is ask. 

So now, I feel I can honestly raise a glass and toast to 2012: To my network of wonderful friends and adopted family!  It truly feels like it's going to be a good year...and I am definitely feeling the love.





2 comments:

  1. Love this post. I am now a stalker of you. lol I hear it all the time, and I'm sure you know as well and don't care about your use of !!! and how people respond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Pundit: I use !!! to emphasize my excitement. Because, make no mistake...I am THAT excited. Neither one, nor two nor four will do. =)

    ReplyDelete